Questions to Ask When Choosing the Best Realtor to Help You Buy Your Home
The purchase of a home is a major personal and financial investment. Utilizing the services of a Realtor skilled in representing your best interest through-out the home buying process can give you a competitive advantage. Insist on professional service and representation. The following questions will be helpful when interviewing and selecting a Realtor to work with you in your purchase of a home.
- How long have you been a Realtor? How long in the Denver Area?
5 years or more as a Realtor in the Denver market area.
- What percentage of your clients are home buyers?
60% or more are home buyers
- How many home buyers did you successfully assist in the past year?
16 or more home buyers
- What percentage of your clients are repeat clients or referrals?
30 – 40% is recommended
- What areas in Denver Metro do you service?
Should include your primary areas of interest.
- How will you communicate with me?
Text, e-mail or phone based upon your preferences.
- What is your availability to show me homes?
7 days per week with the support of a Team
- Do you have a support team? If so, will I be working with you directly or with other members of your team?
Yes. Realtor should remain your primary point of contact.
- How will you help me buy a home in a competitive bidding situation?
Yes. A proven plan to give you a competitive edge including pre-under written mortgage approval and proactive support (availability to call listing Realtor of the home you wish to buy to explain your pre-under written mortgage approval) from a preferred lender, closing statistics for the Team and support of the Team leader if required.
- What is your availability to negotiate contracts?
7 days per week with support of the Team.
- Can you share recent references of home buyers you have worked with in the past year?
Yes. Past year is best. Beware of old references.
- How many other home buyers are you representing now?
No more than 4 active home buyers with the support of a Team.
- Are you a Realtor?
Yes. Will abide by the Realtors Code of Ethics.
- Is your Realtor license in good standing? Any past violations or discipline actions with the Colorado Real Estate Commission?
Yes. Beware of past violations and discipline actions. You can search the license history of a Realtor at the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies Department of Real Estate website.
- Do you have preferred mortgage lenders?
Yes. Preferred lenders with strong support systems are critical in this fast moving market
- What will it cost me to buy my home? How will you represent me? What will your representation include?
Buyer Broker Representation is best. Realtor should have a legal obligation to represent your best interests. Realtor should represent your interest through-out the transaction. Realtor should provide a written home buying plan. Compensation is normally paid by the home seller.
- Do you have a performance guarantee? What happens if I am dissatisfied?
Yes. You should have the right to terminate the contract if the Realtor fails to perform.
- Do you have preferred contractors to assist with home inspection resolution issues?
Yes. Preferred contractors are helpful in successfully resolving home inspection issues
- Will you attend closing with me?
Yes. Your Realtor should attend closing and be available to answer all questions 24 hours prior to closing.
I hope these questions help you in choosing the best Realtor to assist you with buying your home. If you have any comments or questions please contact me at 303-591-2116.